Motoring & Driving Defence
Motoring offences are unfortunately a common occurrence and a particular threat for people who rely on driving for their business and work.
Why Taylor Law?
We at Taylor Law have an excellent track record in helping people retain their driving licence, including serious cases. We are specialists in presenting your case in the best possible way aiming to avoid a disqualification or to reduce the disqualification period.
Whether you have been accused of, speeding, careless / dangerous driving, drink / drug driving, causing death by dangerous driving, we can help.
Taylor Law understand how essential your driving licence is, both personally and professionally. Criminal convictions can have devastating consequences, resulting in the loss of your employment, business and reputation.
Prompt action is essential as some options, such as driver awareness courses, are not available once a court date has been set.
If you have been summonsed to court, we as experienced motoring solicitors will provide you with information on the likely outcome of your case. and, if required, we will represent you in court.
Areas of law:
– Application for the early return of driving licence
– Appealing motoring convictions
– Drink driving
– Drug driving
– Driving whilst disqualified
– Driving without insurance, licence or valid MOT
– Careless Driving
– Dangerous Driving
– Death by Dangerous / Careless driving
– Endorsements and Penalty Points
– Exceptional hardship applications
– Failing to notify the DVLA
– Failing to stop or report after an accident
– Failure to provide a specimen
– New driver’s provisions
– Notice of Intended prosecutions NIPS
– Police station interviews
– Special Reasons applications
– Totting up
– Traffic Light offences
– Using a mobile phone
– Tacho graph offences
Please call us for a no-obligation, free initial telephone consultation, and we will happily provide you with a quote.
How to make contact
Contact Taylor Law free today to find out how we can help defend your driving licence.
Freephone 0330 0539147
Nominated Solicitor – Supercar Driver Club
Imogen Cox is the nominated motoring Solicitor for the Supercar Driver Club and its members.
Keep up to date with what we are up to via our Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin page
Price and Service Information: Motoring Offences
As part of our professional rules, we aim to ensure that anyone wishing to use our services has the information they need to make an informed choice of legal services provider, including understanding what the costs may be.
Why instruct Taylor Law?
Taylor Law specialise in criminal defence in all areas of Criminal Law. We only undertake privately funded work. We strive to ensure our clients have expert assistance at the point of arrest, the Magistrates and Crown Court as well as appeals in the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
Based in London, Leeds and Middlesbrough, our approach to clients is one of friendliness and efficiency. Our clients are made to feel welcome but also confident that their legal issues are dealt with in a manner that both expedient and competent. We strive to create the right impression by being as available and as approachable as possible. We can offer appointments outside normal working hours and are available 24 hours a day 365 days a year for emergencies and clients who have been arrested. We feel it is important that our clients to have access to a solicitor at all times and we ensure that as a firm we work as efficiently as possible to deliver an excellent service to all our clients.
There are many driving offences which can vary from minor offences to major offences and so can the punishments. We can help with drink/drug driving, mobile phone offences, speeding, dangerous driving and driving without insurance to name a few. These laws are in place to protect you, however if you have fallen victim too such an offence then we are here to help you get out of it. At Taylor Law, we are trained to handle every issue promptly and professionally, to help put your mind at ease.
Our Motoring Offences Team
Director/ Solicitor and Head of Motoring Offences Team – qualified 1/7/1998
Solicitor – qualified 1/11/1989
Solicitor – qualified 1/8/2011
Consultant Solicitor – qualified 1/5/1997
Consultant Solicitor – 15/7/1998
Motoring offence, summary only1, Guilty Plea
Fixed Fee: From £800 plus VAT at 20%
What is included?
- Attendance and/or preparation;
- Considering evidence;
- Taking your instructions;
- Providing advice on likely sentence;
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court.
What is not included?
- Instruction of any expert witnesses;
- Taking statements from any witnesses;
- Advice and assistance in relation to a Special Reasons2 or exceptional hardship hearing3;
- Advice or assistance in relation to any appeal.
Key stages involved
The key stages of your matter are based on the presumption that you have entered a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing. They typically include:
- Meet with you to provide instructions on what happened;
- Consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice;
- Arranging to take any witness statements. This would be charged on an hourly rates basis at the charging rates set out in the table below;
- Explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, and the sentencing options available to the Court;
- Conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you, if necessary, and answer any follow up queries you have;
- Attend court on the day, meet with you before going before the court. We anticipate being at court for half a day.
- Discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal, this will carry an additional cost.
Hourly rates (not including VAT):
Leeds and Middlesbrough:
Partners/Solicitors with at least 8 years’ experience – 265.00
Solicitors with at least 4 years’ experience – 230.00
Solicitors, Legal Executives, Senior Executives – 200.00
Trainee Solicitors – 140.00
Junior Executives/Assistants – 140.00
Partners/Solicitors with at least 8 years’ experience – 450.00
Solicitors with at least 4 years’ experience – 325.00
Solicitors, Legal Executives, Senior Executives – 250.00
Trainee Solicitors – 150.00
Junior Executives/Assistants – 150.00
Not Guilty Pleas and Trial and other hearings
- Trials at the Magistrates Court from £2,000 plus VAT (this includes all the preparatory work attendances upon and witnesses and attendance at Court);
- Special reasons or exceptional hardship hearing from £1,500 plus VAT (this includes all the preparatory work attendances upon and witnesses and attendance at Court.)
The above estimates for trials and special reasons/ exceptional hardship arguments that involve a single court hearing. All subsequent hearings attract a further fee of £500 plus VAT.
Please note we cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place, as this depends on the court listing for that day.
- A summary only offence is an offence which can only be tried in the magistrates’ court. There are exceptions. Under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (CJA 1988) offences specified in the Act can be tried on indictment by a jury if they are linked to an offence triable only in the Crown Court. The principal summary only offences are:
- driving whilst disqualified
- careless and inconsiderate driving
- failing to give information as to the identity of the driver
- failing to stop or report, and
- Special Reasons pertain exclusively to situations where the accused has been found or has pleaded guilty and now faces disqualification unless he/she can persuade the Court that there are ‘special reasons’ not to impose penalty points/ disqualification
- An exceptional hardship hearing is where the accused has been found or has pleaded guilty and now faces disqualification unless they can persuade the Court that a disqualification would cause them or others exceptional hardship
Updated: September 2020
“Had trouble in the past with firms not having a regular point of contact and having to chase up personally for information. Found Taylor Law to be extremely well equipped to manage every element of my case and got me the outcome I asked for in our initial meeting. Wouldn’t use anyone else in the future or even consider it”.