Stokesley is a market town and civil parish in the Hambleton District of North Yorkshire, England, formerly a part of the historic North Riding of Yorkshire. It lies on the River Leven. An electoral ward, of the same name, stretches north to Newby and had a population at the 2011 Census of 5,537.
Stokesley is about two miles south of the Middlesbrough borough boundary and eight miles south of Middlesbrough town centre. Stokesley is between Middlesbrough, Guisborough and Northallerton in a farming area. Local attractions nearby include Great Ayton, Captain Cook‘s monument and Roseberry Topping in the North York Moors National Park. The town was formerly one of the North Riding of Yorkshire‘s rural district head towns, this was from 1894 until 1974.
Stokesley was granted a charter to hold fairs in 1223 by Henry III. The Pack Horse Bridge crossing over the River Leven dates from the 17th century. Its large range of building types, including fine Georgian architecturehas contributed to its character. Prominent historical features include the Mill Wheel, thought to represent the site of a mill recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. Domesday also recorded “a church and priest” in Stokesley. Stokesley Town Hall was completed in 1853.